Thursday, February 9, 2017

Poetry Day

I picked up a poetry book while I was at Half-Price Books a couple days ago. I haven't read a lot of poetry before, but several of the verses caught my eye and made my heart happy. Carleton Briggs is now among my favorite poets. :-)

Down Through the Hours of this Day

Down through the hours of this day
I want to walk with open eyes;
To see the good along the way, 
And glimpse the rainbow in the skies. 

I want to hear soft voices speak
Their healing words to those in pain;
To hear the songs of those who seek
To scatter sunshine in the rain. 

I want to feel the touch of hands, --
To press my shoulder to the load
Besides someone who understands, 
And walks with me along the road.

I want to be alert to do
The works that's waiting to be done;
I would sincerely carry through
Each honest task in faith begun.

The many deep resolves I made
As I awoke refreshed at dawn;
I would complete them unafraid
Ere each short hour is quickly gone.

Down through the hours of this day
I march,-- and pray ere this sun sets,
I'll store each precious hour away
To treasure it, without regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment