Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Candy Making

This is baking week in our family. And by baking, I mean candy making. Pounds and pounds of butter and sugar are used during the week as mass amounts of English toffee, peanut brittle and caramels fill the house, taking up the majority of the many sheet pans we own.

Today, Jane and I made caramels. Two half sheet pans full. 6 pounds of butter... It was going well, no scorching or burns like previous days. We have been having trouble with our brand new candy thermometers, mostly, I believe, because of the amount of candy we're making and the large pots we have to use. Anyway, I was going off of the candy thermometer and the ice water test. Well, turns out one of the batches was cooked a little too long despite the careful tests. I was pretty upset. It was three pounds of butter, which is a lot. It also took a good two hours to make....

So tomorrow, I've got another batch of caramels to knock out... The good news? It just tastes like Worther candies, so it'll still get eaten, just not gifted.

No comments:

Post a Comment