Monday, October 31, 2016

Back to Balkemania

Thursday morning, Samuel, Lisa, Elsa and I boarded a rented pickup and made the eight hour drive up to Michigan for Balkema wedding. I was a little concerned about the long drive with Elsa, but she was fantastic and didn't get car sick, which was AWESOME!


Lisa read Cruel as the Grave by Mrs. Southworth on the way up and back and that helped the time past quickly. We made really good time going up and made it to the rehearsal dinner. After the rehearsal, we went to the reception venue and went to work on some of the decorations.

The wedding was sweet. Everything went well and the reception venue made a stunning transformation from a gym to a reception venue. It was gorgeous and Lisa's Aunt Julie did an amazing job!



It was quite awkward for me because I didn't know hardly anyone there (besides bridesmaids), although tons of people seemed to know me and it was weird, cause I hardly know who they are. I'm pretty sure it's cause they see all the pictures I post of Elsa and it makes them think they know me....

Due to a culinary conversation during the wedding reception, Bob and Julie (Mrs. Balkema's sister) brought sushi the next day including raw scallops and raw tuna. It was delicious and super sweet of them. I had a fantastic time getting to know them this weekend!

Besides the horrible allergies I had the entire time I was there, it was a fantastic weekend. I love the Balkema family!




I made several realizations over the weekend:

-I have now been to three outta four Balkema kids' weddings. :-)

-I've never been to a wedding where I haven't worked in some way. This time, I was asked to run through the kitchen to look for necessary equipment, walk the cooks through the kitchen instead of the bride, moved chairs from the church, to the rec. center, helped slice and serve cake and all sorts of cleanup stuff...

-Even though I was busy almost the entire weekend, I missed my family even more than ever.

-My home away from home felt like home when I was away from it and came back. If that makes sense. ;-)

The sunset on the way back was gorgeous! We got back in decent time and unloaded the back of the pick up. It felt good to be home.


No comments:

Post a Comment