Tuesday, March 1, 2016

CAP News

I just learned that the position I've worked really hard to learn and serve as for the past five years for Civil Air Patrol's Cascade Falcon summer encampment has changed. I no longer will be cooking food for around 200 people.

My first reaction was happiness. It means less stress, no planning, no forgetting ingredients and having to run to the store, no super late nights and really early morning, no inspectors, no flopped recipes or hungry cadets, no tears.... No cleaning, scrubbing, no dishes....

Then my thoughts changed to sadness. I won't have a team of cadets working for me, the satisfaction of running a kitchen and making meals for so many people. I will no longer be able to short order cook, have cadets come for evening meals or to steal chocolate milk.


I'm going to miss cooking for Cascade Falcon. I know things could change. We could move to a different facility another year, so for now, I apply for a different position and do my best to learn something new. Something challenging.


Thanks to everyone out there who I've gotten to work with in the kitchen. The adults who mentored me and let me make mistakes, the teens who put up with my leadership as I learned how to lead. The cadets who gave honest feedback and the ones who threw everything into doing the best possible job for me. You guys are my inspiration to learn something new.


I've made innumerable memories in those kitchens and made tons of friends in the process. It won't be the last activity I cook for, but for me, Cascade Falcon will not be the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment