Tuesday, February 9, 2016

A Book with Two Stories

A book with two stories, one know and captured by the blackest of ink set into yellowing pages and waiting to be read while the other is hidden, never to be remembered, never to be heard.

On a sunny February day in Tennessee, after exploring the more expensive modern shops, we walked to explore through the old antique shops. One in particular was called Arbor Antiques. It looked a little stetchy or not welcoming, but we decided to brave it anyway. Mom was immediately drawn to looking at the old crocks, retro mixing bowls and wooden boxes while I was drawn to the book shelves and hidden corners stacked high with old musty books. I'm on a search to find old copies of a couple of my favorite books, so I looked at every title. I found a couple books by Emma Dorothy Eliza Nevitte Southworth (or Eden, though most commonly on her books Mrs.).


I love her books, The Hidden Hand in particular. They're also pretty hard to find, so having six or seven on one bookshelf made me pretty happy. 

What made up my mind on the book I chose to buy was the inscription and the title.



To Grace- Dec. 25, 1906

Who was Grace? Who gave her this book for Christmas? How did it end up in his particular antique shop in Tennessee? She could have easily been a child, a mother, a best friend, grandmother.... I wish I knew, but it will always remain a secret. 

I was looking at what the fashion looked like from 1906. The book I bought and am going to read is from the same time as they wore dresses like this? It's kinda amazing and interesting! 



I'm looking forward to reading this story and beginning the quest for the sequel. And that, my friends, is why I love antique shopping and books. Lots and lots of books. 








No comments:

Post a Comment