Monday, February 15, 2016

Adventures of Roadtripping

A long weekend coinciding with a birthday in Lisa's family meant an 545 mile including four states. I had high hopes that the drive would be as fast as the previous one had been. Elsa had been wonderful and content last time.

Those hopes were dashed about two hours into what was supposed to be an 8 hour drive when Elsa got really motion sick and threw up all over herself and the car seat. Poor girl. The car smelled horrible. We scrounged around for bags, went through an entire NEW package of wipes, wishing we had garbage bags and paper towels. Let's just say Elsa and I now have an even more special bond. I have not only cleaned up multiple vomits off of her and her car seat, I have caught her vomit in a bag. Anyway, long story short, four outfits for Elsa, we finally arrived, exhausted and so ready for the drive to be over.

Jane and Ev thought sending this would be funny. -_-
She was so happy to see her grandparents and all her aunts and uncles.  

We left Michigan more prepared. Elsa ate simple foods that day and we had a good stock of wipes, name-brand paper towels, tons of garbage bags, car Frebreeze and clean clothes. But she was the least of our problems on the way back. 

There was snow all the way from Balkemania Michigan through all four states back home. Most of the trip home was low visibility with either snow spray from other vehicles, snow or rain. There was snow and ice on the highways. Instead of getting to drive 70-80 mph, Samuel was forced to 45 mph or under for the majority of the drive.



We watched the car lose control and spin around facing the wrong direction on the highway and slamming into the barrier. It was kinda scary to realize that could have been us.









I was able to get a few cool pictures from the moving car... Not super clear, but I loved getting to see part of the states in snow. I saw these same fields a bright green in September!

We stopped for dinner at Cracker Barrel, A first for me. It was fun.


I am so thankful we got home safely and after 12 hours of traveling. This morning I looked up traffic/weather articles for Indiana and found out this happened in a span of eight hours, all while we were driving on road around us.

68 personal injury crashes
199 property damage crashes
102 assist motorist calls

There was a forty car pile up, jack-knifed semi trucks, tons of slow plows, emergency vehicles, police cars.

Anyway, I was so tired when I got back that I didn't take out all my hair pins, brush my teeth or even take of my makeup...


So another traveling adventure. Not my favorite, but one full of memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment