Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Butter and Flour Creations

Last weekend, Lisa found something she has told me about for months now, but hasn't been able to find. Turkey and Swiss cheese sandwiches made on pretzel croissants and served with a honey mustard dipping sauce. Since she told me how delicious they were, I've been planning on making pretzel croissants for her.

I researched this pretty extensively, only two bakeries in the US (at least online, that I could find at the time) make pretzel croissants on a regular basis. One is in New York and the other is in California. So making them was pretty much our only option. I have heard that Trader Joe's carries them, but we weren't able to find them there in Nashville... 

The first batch of dough I made was for a pretzel croissant recipe. The yeast I used for 1 week expired and even that little of time, it totally didn't work. I didn't particularly like the recipe I had found, so I looked for a basic one that I could turn into the pretzel version. Turns out there are millions of recipes all slightly different. I called home and got one from my culinary textbook. 

With bread flour, fresh yeast and a good recipe, I was off. After a full 24 hours, I had completed my very first batch of croissants. They were/are delicious! I made some pretzel by dipping the risen and formed dough into a baked baking soda and water mixture and sprinkling with sea salt... 

If you're up for a challenge, I now have a fine, simple recipe for croissants over on my other blog, Gracie's Tasties




No comments:

Post a Comment