Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Balkemania

The Balkema family is special to me. I have spent almost a week with them in New York for Samuel and Lisa's graduation from college, then 10 days in Michigan at their wonderful old brick home preparing for Samuel and Lisa's wedding. The next summer we spent with them as part of our summer road trip. I've seen them twice more since, for another wedding and then this last weekend for Thanksgiving. I didn't think I could love a family as much as I do them in the short time we've actually spent together.



We played so many games of Carcassonne together. I lost miserably so many times, but it was always fun. Susan, Ellie and I went shopping. We got chocolate, Hobby Lobby sales and some clothes. We know how to shop I think. :-)


Decorating a Christmas tree was more fun then I thought, It was a first for me, since my family has never done a tree. It was cool to experience that with such a great family. It was interesting to see their family dynamics and what similarities our families shared. I also figured out where Ev got some weird phrases or dance moves from... Ahem, Bonnie. Seems they spent a whole month together.


The drive back was gorgeous, even though the GPS took us the most absurd route back. Elsa slept for a good deal of it and Lisa read aloud a fun murder mystery called The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin. I slept through parts of it, so I'm rereading it now.

Although it wasn't the same as Thanksgiving at home, it was a wonderful weekend. Besides my family, I really missed turkey sandwiches, perogies and dough gogs. I guess next year isn't too far off.

No comments:

Post a Comment